Sunday, 22 June 2014

Archer Shirt in Teal Linen


I had some teal linen marinating in the stash. I loved this material. Beautiful quality, medium weight and in one of my favourite colours. I'd planned to make a shirt all along but was waiting for the right pattern. Various contenders came and went and then I started on my Archer adventure  here.

I got it out. I pre-washed, I cut, I sewed and of course, because the shirt meant a lot to me I made errors and unpicked and sewed again. I even recut the collar stand because the original had shifted ever so slightly off grain. The material though beautiful and springy had a life of it's own. I sort of suspect that pure linen always has a life of its own! Eventually though, I had my shirt.


I love to either fold or roll up my shirt sleeves so I made a two piece placket rather than the continuous one of the original Archer because the sleeves roll better.


To make the placket I followed instructions from Threads Sewing Guide, page 181 which I purchased during my recent sewing book buying spree. The irony is that the 'Two Piece Placket' is actually made from a single piece of material. 



My modifications to the back are two little pleats rather than a centre pleat, a centre back seam and a sway back adjustment. I added the little loop when I saw one on a RTW shirt.

I did flat felled seams on the body and sleeves.
Love my Archer!

Happy Sewing,
Val.



21 comments:

  1. Love your Archer. Absolutely gorgeous colour and love all the little details. Looks like you have really nailed the fit too. Makes me want to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely, the nicest, prettiest archer I've seen. I'm not a shirt person, so it's not in my plans, but your shirt takes the cake. You look wonderful in it, great color for you. I agree with you on linen, one of my fav fabric, the more it's washed, the softer it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This colour is very nice on you. Great looking Archer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val,
    this is so pretty... Looks pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty. You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muy bonita y el color del lino es precioso. KISSES.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color! The shirt looks terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you my northern hemisphere friends.
    Coco it's actually a touch too cool to wear this shirt yet as I don't tuck them in and it's mid winter here but I look forward to having this as a wash and wear staple. I'll just let it soften and wrinkle..

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really lovely. The color and the construction are just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! That color is really amazing. I am a huge fan of life-of-it's-own linen :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely beautiful. It's simple, yet detailed - a wonderful paradox of sewing goodness. Like Jean Margaret said, you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo, Val, a gorgeous shirt in one of my favourite colours. You look stunning! I like that type of placket too, and think it looks nicer and more professional. Great Sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a really beautiful shirt and suits your colouring

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once again, thank you all for the comments. It looks like I have a shirt TNT. I may try a short sleeveless version in summer as there is a tutorial on how to alter the armhole on the Grainline site.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You chose a great pattern to showcase this beautiful coloured fabric. Love you little tweaks you added as well ... J

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Archer shirt, the additional details are perfect and the colour looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely colour for your shirt! Perfectly sewn and a great fit. Very nice details too. Don´t you just love sewing shirts? I´m addicted!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks ladies.
    Merche I still find making shirts painstaking rather than a pleasure. There are so many ways to make every component, however I am learning more with each one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your best shirt ever!

    ReplyDelete